Almost 17% of Americans don’t have health insurance. Many uninsured individuals have tried to get coverage but could not because it was too expensive. Others don’t have access to coverage through their workplace, and some, particularly low-income working individuals, are ineligible for financial assistance to help cover monthly insurance premiums.
For individuals without health insurance, fairly common ailments like pneumonia, strep throat, viral infections, and influenza can costs thousands in emergency medical care costs and missed work time.
In an effort to make preventative flu measures more available to the public, Familywize Family Partnership, together with Walgreens, United Way of the Florida Keys, and the Southernmost Boys & Girls Club, provided a free health clinic at Bayview Park as part of the Boys and Girls Club’s “Lights On Afterschool!” event. The purpose of the clinic was to provide flu shots to uninsured and underinsured residents, as well as to encourage preventative flu measures as we head into winter and the peak of flu season. The resources were provided by Walgreens as part of a nationwide program that helps to make flu shots available to those without health insurance coverage or those who are unable to afford a flu shot.
In addition to getting your flu shot, FamilyWize offers the following tips to help prevent the flu:
- Clean Your Hands: Wash your hands as often and thoroughly as possible with soap and water. If soap is not available use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Stay Home: Avoid leaving your home for school, work, and errands when you are sick. Experts recommend you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone.
- Avoid Close Contact: Do your best to avoid close contact with people who are sick. You should also avoid close contact with others when you are sick.
- Avoid Touching Your Eyes, Nose, or Mouth: Viruses often spread when a person touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth after exposure to the virus. Cover your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing.
- Keep Your Surroundings Clean: Clean and disinfect anything that may be contaminated with germs.
For more information or to find out how you can save 43% on your prescription medications, visit www.familywize.org.