United Way of the Florida Keys has concluded the third successful year of providing two options for free tax preparation throughout Monroe County. The VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program is completely volunteer-run and assists qualified taxpayers with completion of their annual tax return, to ensure that families receive every available benefit. In addition to the VITA program, local taxpayers had a second option, MyFreeTaxes.com, providing free, online preparation.
As we wrap up another successful tax year, we would like to say THANK YOU to the 17 hard-working volunteers who spent 29 days helping families and individuals in Monroe County with their tax preparation.
Highlights of this year’s tax season include:
- 219 tax returns prepared (193 VITA and 26 MyFreeTaxes.com)
- 17 volunteers working 528 hours total
- $31,856 in estimated tax preparation fees saved
- $145,980 in total refunds generated through VITA
- 12 tax preparation sites throughout Monroe County
- Client’s average Adjusted Gross Income $24,599
We would also like to thank Loretta, Karen and Bunnie for their leadership, the locations who hosted a tax prep site, and, last but not least, Volunteer Florida and Wells Fargo for making this program possible!
Above: Key West VITA Volunteer assists clients with their tax preparation