To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 to vulnerable citizens, we have cancelled our in-person VITA tax preparation dates until further notice. Following are 2 alternate options. Remember, the tax filing deadline has been extended to July 15, 2020.
What to have ready to do your taxes:
- Photo identification for you and your spouse (if married)
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number documents for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Birth dates for you, spouse and dependents
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- All Forms W-2, 1098, and 1099
- Forms 1095-A, B or C (ACA Statements)
- Information for other income
- Information for all deductions/credits
- Documentation of total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number
- For direct deposit of refund, proof of account and bank’s routing number
- For prior year returns, copies of income transcripts from IRS (and state, if applicable)
We are offering a Virtual VITA option for clients with W-2 and 1099 income only.
If your household income was less than $56,000 in 2019, and you have a simple return*, VITA volunteers can help virtually prepare and file your return. *A simple return has only W-2 and 1099 income. No self-employment or investment income.
1. Scan your documents with a scanner or your phone (not an image)
2. Email them to VITA@KeysUnitedWay.org
3. An IRS-certified VITA volunteer will contact you to complete and file your return
~Please note, participants agree to any risk from transmitting information via email~
Prepare your own taxes safely, conveniently and FREE online at MyFreeTaxes.com. Available in multiple languages.
MyFreeTaxes is a free program for qualified taxpayers who want to complete their own taxes. United Way partners with industry leader H&R Block to help people easily and accurately file both their federal and state taxes through MyFreeTaxes. Every household with a simple return can file their state and federal returns through MyFreeTaxes.com, which links to a secure H&R Block website, making it easy to complete their taxes for free from home, at work or on mobile devices, in less than an hour.
RETURNING SOON....WE HOPE!
If your household income was less than $56,000 in 2019, you can Prepare & File Your Taxes for FREE with assistance from an IRS-certified volunteer tax preparer at a mobile VITA site.
The VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program is designed to assist qualified taxpayers with completion of their annual tax returns and to ensure that limited income families receive every available benefit. Tax preparers are IRS-certified and prepared to complete simple state and federal tax returns. Returns may include:
- Earned Income Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Education Credits
- Dependent Care Credit
- Schedule C/self-employment